Re: [stella] New idea for 6 channel music on the 2600

Subject: Re: [stella] New idea for 6 channel music on the 2600
From: "John Saeger" <john@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 00:52:35 -0700
Eckhard Stolberg wrote:

> z26 generates two samples per scanline. This is good enough
> for the music in Pitfall 2 and the voices in Quadrun and
> Open Sesame. I don't know how quickly the TIA handles changes
> to the volume registers, but I guess the differences in the
> sound output between z26 and a real VCS would not be too big
> for your routine.

Getting the quadrun voice to come out and getting Pitfall II music to sound
good are two very different things.  Pitfall II took some serious
*cheating*.  When I relied on the two sample per scanline standard output,
it sounded terrible.  I would imagine that it would be possible for Kevin's
new idea to also sound terrible in z26.  With Pitfall II it had to do with
remixing different sample rates.  On the 2600 you essentially have infinite
resolution and choices of sample rate when outputting sound manually.
Trying to remix a sound with an arbitrary sample rate with a sound card that
is running at the standard TIA sample rate can sound very bad.  Maybe if the
sample rate were chosen carefully, it *could* sound good on z26.  Possibly
maybe...

John

-