Re: [stella] Your homebrew

Subject: Re: [stella] Your homebrew
From: "Erik J. Eid" <eeid@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 18:06:10 -0400
At 10:05 PM 9/26/01 -0500, Mark De Smet wrote:
I guess what I'm trying to say is not to get discouraged like it has to be
a huge project.  Simply choose a simple concept for a first run, and it is
much more manageable to get into 2600 programming.

I definitely agree with this. I would not recommend to anyone starting to attempt to write the next Solaris. :)

Keep in mind that no matter how simple you think the project will be, it will be more complex. I chose Euchre because it would allow me to use a mostly static display (no sprites in motion, no collisions, no changing playfields on the fly) and because the mechanics of the game are simple. Despite this, I ran into problems with running out of program space, and now that I've implemented some suggested optimizations, the display routines that were working are now broken.

Though choosing a simple game as the first is important, you definitely have to choose something that you really, deep within yourself, want to create and want to play. If you don't, it will be very easy to become discouraged enough to give up after a few problems.

- Archives (includes files) at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/archives/ Unsub & more at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/