Re: [stella] Generating a health bar without ruining your health...

Subject: Re: [stella] Generating a health bar without ruining your health...
From: Erik Mooney <erik@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 22:38:14 -0400
On Thu, 27 Sep 2001 19:56:20 -0700, you wrote:

>Glenn gave one good suggestion, probably the *best* in fact,
>but one that would make my knees knock a bit as a beginning
>Stella programmer.  Mixing playfield and sprite graphics and
>lining everything up creates whole minefields in which bugs can
>live.

If you leave out the part where you put two health bars on the same line,
Glenn's solution is quite elegant, workable, and good as an intro to
object placement and manipulation.  It's easy to position one player
object, and notice that you don't have to rewrite anything for the object
from scanline to scanline.

Using a 6-digit score routine for this seems excessive, to me at least.
Hello, Mr. Walnut, meet Colonel Sledgehammer...

And I really like the idea of a demo, or just of somebody learning to
program Stella by doing it, that includes both playfield and sprite
objects -- it can take quite a while to understand the other if you've
only done a demo involving one, and is much more reflective of how real
games work.

-