[stella] Player data loading...semi newbie

Subject: [stella] Player data loading...semi newbie
From: Ben Larson <wazzapfool@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 10:12:15 -0700 (PDT)
I've been messing around for a while now with some
playfield stuff, but I haven't gotten to doing players
yet.  My question concerns the method I was thinking
of for doing the player sprite lookup, since I'm as
yet not fully enlightened on the subject. :)

For the thing I'm working on, the kernel time is
pretty tight already because I'm drawing a dynamic,
asymmetrical playfield (a la Maze Craze).  Because of
the lack of time, I was thinking of just using a load
with an 'Indirect Y' addressing mode to fetch, first,
the ROM index address from RAM, and then, using the Y
(scan line) offset, fetch the actual data.  If I do
this for 192 lines, though, I think that's going to
mean that I have to have quite a bit of wasted (blank)
ROM space both before and after the actual player
graphic.  Also the blank space + graphic would stretch
over multiple pages.  But, by just changing the lookup
value in RAM, I guess I could change where the player
would appear vertically on the screen, right?  Kind of
like positioning a foosball soccer man with the metal
stick. :)

Anyway, like I said, I don't really know what the
standard player graphic-loading methods are.  Right
now I'm just wondering if this is a viable (albeit
wasteful) method.  I think it is, but I need some
insight...