Re: Demos (was: [stella] Hypnotic 0.04)

Subject: Re: Demos (was: [stella] Hypnotic 0.04)
From: "Glenn Saunders" <cybpunks@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 10:19:30 -0700
As far as demos go, one thing the 2600 can do that no other hardware can do is generate a deliberate illegal video signal.

The only games that do this I know of are Video Chess, and (I think) Robot Tank. Certainly Robot Tank generates a more interesting display.

You can generate some very interesting patterns if you purposefully flake out the television, patterns that are generally undoable if you do traditional 2600 graphics. If you understand the television signal enough, those patterns can be controlled somewhat, I think.

I know Chris Wilkson was working on trying to get the 2600 to output interlaced video. I think this is the uncharted territory for 2600 graphics.

I'd also love to see some Starpath-specific demos that fully utilize Starpath RAM.