Re: [stella] Paint tool for screen mock-ups?

Subject: Re: [stella] Paint tool for screen mock-ups?
From: "Glenn Saunders" <cybpunks@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 10:23:52 -0700

I have a few ideas for homebrew games and I'd like to do some screen
mock-ups before I start coding. Are there any Paint-type tools that can
be customized to force a grid of 192 x 160 (player resolution) or 40 x
192 (playfield resolution)? I realize I can use any old bitmap graphics
program to draw a screen, but I'm looking for something that will
enforce the resolution of the 2600 so my mock-ups are as accurate as
possible.

Paint Shop Pro is the best when it comes to doing paletted graphics, I think. You can turn on grid lines and then make sure you stay within them. That's what I did with my Death Derby mockups. Space your gridlines appropriately and you'll see the outlines that your playfield pixels should be in, and where you can drop your sprite shapes.

I created all the sprites as 8x8 images and then pasted them onto a 320x200 screen aligned to the grid lines.

And for the colors, you can use the RGB tables posted a while back as a color picker.