[stella] stellax and z26

Subject: [stella] stellax and z26
From: Ben Larson <wazzapfool@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 12:52:59 -0700 (PDT)
I've noticed a couple interesting things regarding
StellaX vs. Z26 (other than the fact the colors look
way different in the two of them).  Maybe these things
aren't even really issues though...

First it seems like neither of them really 'powers up'
in a random state...wouldn't a real hardware VCS do
this?  Z26 in particular seems to initialize RAM to
'0'.  I'm thinking this could be a problem for a game
which uses a random number generation register and
expects the system to really power up in a random
state.  For example, with the random number algorithm
I use, if the random number generation register gets
initialized to '0', then it stays at '0' forever.

Also I noticed that StellaX, for some reason, will
display luminances which are not multiples of 2 (for
the playfield luminance at least)..in other words it
seems to allow 16 luminances per color instead of 8.