Re: Aw: [stella] atari 2600 programming

Subject: Re: Aw: [stella] atari 2600 programming
From: Manuel Polik <cybergoth@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 21:23:14 +0200
Am 23.10.01 19:29:30, schrieb Glenn Saunders

>We are just expecting, that people should first invest some time
searching
>for answers and then ask for *real* help.
><<

>Somebody who teaches is going to repeat lessons many many times.  The
>teacher doesn't just point his students at a chapter in a book.  He
>lectures.  It's the new blood coming into the hobby that makes it
new, not
>necessarily the information.

I understand your point, but I think there's some basic knowledge that
someone should have, before attempting to program the VCS. That is
knowing how binary and hexadecimal numbers work and that is 6502
assembly for example. I just don't think that it's our job here in the
mailing list to provide/teach this knowledge.

>Trolling through the archives is dry and time-consuming.  You are
stuck
>with whatever was in the archives.  You can't interact with it.  So
you
>have to understand why people prefer to simply ask questions--so they
can
>get a personalized response tailored to their needs.
>
>At some point people on this list migrate from learning over to
>teaching--or at least having enough knowledge to teach.  If somebody
asks a
>question that has been asked many times, don't feel obligated to even
>respond if you don't want to.  There are over 100 people on this list
so
>the odds of at least one person responding, even just to say "it's in
the
>archives" is enough.

You're right on that one. Most of the times I answer the questions
when I can or if my time permits. So far I've rejected no request for
help on any topic. I'm especially interested in helping other people
with their source'n'stuff, as I can learn there for myself too.

This time I reacted different, because judging fom the original post I
feared that any real answer to the questions wouldn't help much.
I just thought that Maxim wouldn't understand what I would try to say
to him and I didn't want to write a complete crash course about how
the 6502 processor, it's opcodes, hexdecimal numbers and everything
else works. That's the basic knowldge I'm talking about above and I
assumed it was just missing. If I went wrong here, I'm really sorry.
If not, depending on the real knowledge level of the poster, most of
my suggestions made sense. Of course one can do the hard way and learn
everything at once, but I think gettting the idea step by step is
better. And, judging from the second posting, Maxim is already past
the C++ hurdles, so starting to learn 6502 assembly on a C64 wouldn't
be that bad as next step, or?

Greetings,
     Manuel

-