Re: Aw: Re: [stella] OT: Programming, CS theory

Subject: Re: Aw: Re: [stella] OT: Programming, CS theory
From: "Glenn Saunders" <cybpunks@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 10:40:20 -0700
If we're talking about syntax, what I dislike the most about assembly syntax vs. high level languages is how hard it is to visualize the differences between a plain old label and a subroutine.

There is no "Function DrawScreen()" sort of syntax. A label is a label is a label.

So if you have a big subroutine it's hard to differentiate the natural startpoint from internal labels used by loops and branching stuff.

It's also a little hard to think of a subroutine as not having to have a singular startpoint. You can seek into and JSR into any line of a subroutine you want. You can't do that in any other language I know of.

(An example of where this is used is in Manuel's horizontal positioning subroutine. It seeks to a different startpoint for P0 vs. P1.)

Plus it's hard to think about function parameters either, since there are no rules for how to pass parameters to assembly subroutines. You can use the stack, use the registers, or use general RAM.