Re: [stella] Difficulty Switches vs. Tap

Subject: Re: [stella] Difficulty Switches vs. Tap
From: Glenn Saunders <cybpunks2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2001 20:37:30 -0800
At 09:19 PM 11/4/2001 -0800, you wrote:
And this brings up another point; how much is the PC keyboard like
the Atari driving controller?  I think if it's playable via PC, it should be
posible to make it playable with a joystick.

Don't 2600 emulators implement the driving controller via the mouse? I know they do for the paddle. I was referring to the keyboard in reference to the console switches.

Point me to it.  (It may be in the archives, but like I said I haven't
been paying much attention.)

The most recent working build is in the Death Derby journal page.

I already offered to do the tap thing; would you mind if I made a stab at
coding this too?  I realize it's sticking my nose pretty deep into your

Sure. Even if I don't use it, it might be useful to someone else.

If you wanted to tackle another part of the game also, be my guest. Beyond a certain point I'd be glad to give you co-authoring credit if you want. I really enjoy collaboration.

I'm actually quite anxious to get the missile-players on the screen and all 4 objects moving already. Once I get to that important milestone I'll begin to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Things are still a little tense because I don't know for certain how I'm going to squeeze all the sprite code into the available space on the two line kernel, and even if I do, I need to come up with a rock solid trick to avoid tearing effects when I write to GRPx or ENAMx. As Thomas said, it's going to be REAL close. I'm taking a leap of faith assuming that it's going to work. Compared to that, the control scheme is a minor issue.

Second to that, the other hardest part of the code, I think, will be translating a collision into a RAM bit to turn on. I've wrapped myself around that problem for some time and haven't come up with an efficient solution yet.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Archives (includes files) at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/archives/ Unsub & more at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/