Re: [stella] Difficulty Switches vs. Tap

Subject: Re: [stella] Difficulty Switches vs. Tap
From: Thomas Jentzsch <tjentzsch@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2001 11:30:38 +0100
Glenn Saunders wrote:

>I'm not convinced against it, but maybe people also shouldn't
be so dead
>set against using the difficulty switches too.  If people can
use the
>color/b&w for Starmaster during the game, I don't see how
different it is here.

I think, you can't compare that.

In Starmaster you normally only have to use the switch when the
gameplay isn't stressing.

In your game, the reverse gear is a central part of the
gameplay, so it should be easily accessable. The difficulty
switches aren't good for this (and maybe would get broken
soon).

But with the driving controllers, it should be possible to
reverse direction of the car within 8 (maybe less, see below)
frames. And the "tap method" won't be faster, unless you
require *very* fast tapping.

For faster turning you could recognize abrupt twists and use
them. Based on the old turning direction you could use a twist
with +2 for faster turning (4 frames) or a full 180 degrees
turn (1 frame!).

Have fun!
Thomas