RE: [stella] Joystick Port Baud rate...

Subject: RE: [stella] Joystick Port Baud rate...
From: Chad Schell <gamer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 12:11:31 -0800

But I need to read only, with SWCHA being a constant
input. Could that possibly allow higher rates, like the
ones Chad experienced somehow?

It really just depends on what else you want to do while reading the data. As I've said before, I had a working serial download system running at 38.4 kbps. It's really just a matter of how fast you sample the input line, and the jitter imposed by whatever timeout function you use to indicate when to sample again.

If you only read the port, and thus don't change it's configuration, the 400 uS delay does not apply.

But if you throw something together, don't forget to adjust the levels of the RS-232 input down to TTL before feeding it to the Atari.

Chad

Chad Schell
gamer@xxxxxxxxxxx
Like the Atari 2600?  Check out the Cuttle Cart.
http://www.schells.com/cuttlecart.shtml