Re: Re: [stella] Gunfight 2600: Final Release Version

Subject: Re: Re: [stella] Gunfight 2600: Final Release Version
From: "Eckhard Stolberg" <Eckhard_Stolberg@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 16:22:58 +0100
> Rats! I knew I should've implemented those tests
> checking if the routine is still intact!

That wouldn't have helped much. Eventually all checksumming
mechanisms go to a point where they have to decide wether to
branch into the main game loop or not. And this code can
always be manipulated by hackers.

> Apart from that it's good to know that everything works fine
> beyond that obstacle... :-)

After actually playing the game a bit, it seems that the
background in the PAL version is rather bright. It might just
be my TV, but maybe you could try something a little darker
before releasing the game?

> As for the "hacking prevention code": That really is exactly what
> it is intended to be.

> Of course I'm aware that anybody on this list is able to remove
> that code in next to no time, but I'm sure it prevents 99%
> of the editgfx users from turning my cowboys into Bin Ladens... :-)

I don't know, but after you have posted all the almost
finished beta versions here this seems pretty pointless.
Anyone who really wanted to hack your game without your
permission could just use a beta version and get almost
the same result.

> Do you know where and why the checksum differs?

It seems that both the Cuttle Cart loading routine and the
modified 7800 BIOS start the game with the carry bit being
high. I don't know how it is on a normal 2600/7800 though.
Maybe the 6502 starts up with the carry being low, but at
least on the 7800 with it's BIOS, it might get changed to
high as well.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg