Re: [stella] Stelladoc v2 status report closed???

Subject: Re: [stella] Stelladoc v2 status report closed???
From: "B. Watson" <urchlay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 19:19:32 -0500 (EST)
On Tue, 27 Nov 2001, Glenn Saunders wrote:

> I will probably have time to update the stelladoc some more after I
> finish Poker Solitaire, which will be done in a week or 2 at the rate
> I've been going. Meanwhile, if someone else would like to do some work
> on stelladoc v2, please go ahead & do it, you don't need my permission
> or anything.
> <<
>
> If you are the only one with FTP access to it, then it's hard for us to
> update it.  We could use a URL to a zip of all the files, for instance,
> rather than doing save-as on them one by one and re-assembling them on our
> local machines.

I don't even have ftp access. Andrew said to email him the updated version
and he'd manually copy it over.

> Not only that, but it may be a good idea for StellaDoc to be hosted
> somewhere that has an application server/DB back end.

Ugh. My take on this is that the document proper should be hostable
anywhere that has a web server.. specific parts like your TIA chart
that require database/whatever backend support should be considered
a separate document, to be linked to by the static HTML stelladoc..

> I have migrated my TIA colors and sound tables to GameDevelopers.net, so at
> least I'm in a good position to generate new views or web-based utilities
> (think search engines and sortable register lists) around the 2600 hardware.

Once again we'd run into the problem that only one person has the
ability to make updates... perhaps we really should make this a Source
Forge project? sourceforge.net accounts are free, and multiple developers
can have access to the web space and CVS tree... and CVS has a lot of
advantages over having a human being try to merge different versions
updated by different people...

> We may want to think some more about what we want this to one day become,
> and scale accordingly.

I wish my employer still let me keep a server in the colo rack. I used to
have the ability to host anything you could host on a sparc 10...

Even using a sourceforge project to manage this, isn't really ideal.. VA
Linux (owner/operators of sourceforge.net) could go out of business or
decide to cut back on the free stuff to tighten up their budget. Ideally,
we need a server sitting somewhere that belongs to one of the regular
list members... Or at least access to a box running CVS and a web server,
at minimum. A database would be nice, so would the ability to run our
own perl/php/coldfusion/whatever scripts...

B.