Aw: Re: [stella] Is Stella GPL'd? (was StellaX PAL detection)

Subject: Aw: Re: [stella] Is Stella GPL'd? (was StellaX PAL detection)
From: cybergoth@xxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 10:30:43 +0100 (CET)
Hi Thomas!

> Eckhard wrote:
> > That might be the case, but I'm not sure if it really is good
> > news for Manuel. If Stella is GPL, then his idea of protecting
> > his games by compiling the binaries into the emulator wouldn't
> > work, as he would have to provide the source code to anyone
> > who wants it. And if he had to provide the source code for his
> > games, that would be an even worse situation for him than it
> > seems to be now. ;-)

> Do you agree now Manuel? Copy protection inside the source code IS the
> better (easier) way! ;-)

So? I could make Stella read somewhat strange packed
BINs instead or something like PGP it.

Then one could release the complete source of the thing
but only emulators compiled with a certain key are able
able to decrypt the ROMs that are encrypted with the
same key.

Ha! That's even better! Everybody can encrypt his
own ROMS and emulator and no-one can debug them
out, even when the source is available :-)

And those encrypted ROMs of course only work on
the emulator, not on any console.

(BTW: For the other readers (Thomas already knows :-)) All of these
protection ideas started not because I think that protection is really
necessary, but because in another thread (in november?) someone
said 'perfect protection can't be done' and I just have to proove
that wrong, (at least for 2600 BINs! :-))

Greetings,
     Manuel

PCs & Notebooks: Riesenauswahl an neuen und gebrauchten
Geräten aller Anbieter. eBay, der weltweite Online-Marktplatz!
http://www.arcor.de/home/redir.php/ebaypc