Re: [stella] Perfect BIN copy protection

Subject: Re: [stella] Perfect BIN copy protection
From: Manuel Polik <cybergoth@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2002 10:21:11 +0100
Hi Roger!

>Bottom line is, if you want to call it a 2600 game in
any
>real sense, you aren't gonna be able to copy protect
it.

Well, the goal Thomas and I had, was meant to provide
BINs that run flawlessly on an emulator, but not on any
real hardware.

We know how to disable the Cuttle Cart, the
Supercharger, Distella and the Debugger of PCAE.

We know how to addtitionally hack-protect the game, in a
way we think that's so frustrating to remove, that
anybody attempting it will give up at some point.

It'd be a 2600 in _every_ sense, but noone halfway
insane would go through the troubles to hack it to run
on the Cuttle Cart :-)

After the headache of removing Thomas test protection,
which was far away from what we could do now, I decided
to never do that again :-)

Greetings,
	Manuel