[stella] Thomas Jentzsch's PAL -> NTSC Conversions

Subject: [stella] Thomas Jentzsch's PAL -> NTSC Conversions
From: "Albert Yarusso - AtariAge" <albert@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 03:23:29 -0600
I haven't posted this to AtariAge yet, but I figured I'd let everyone on
[Stella] have a look first.  I just finished up a page to list all of Thomas
Jentzsch's PAL to NTSC conversions, which should allow people to play
various PAL-only games on their NTSC televisions using a Cuttle Cart (or by
making a cart).  Here's the page:

http://www.atariage.com/software_conversions

While Thomas sent us 21 different NTSC images, I've only put 18 online so
far.  I'd first like to confirm that two of them aren't, in fact, NTSC
binaries (Air Raid and Great Escape).  And we need to dump an NTSC Polaris,
as the ROM on our site appears to be PAL.

Maybe you guys can help me confirm or deny if the existing Air Raid and
Great Escape binaries are PAL or NTSC.  Air Raid uses 290 lines and Great
Escape uses 288 lines.  At what point is a game considered PAL?  I wouldn't
be surprised if Great Escape is PAL, since it's easier to find outside the
US.  But as far as I know, Air Raid wasn't distributed outside the US, so a
PAL version of it would seem a bit unusual to me.  Here are the binaries for
both of these games:

http://www.atariage.com/2600/roms/AirRaid.zip
http://www.atariage.com/2600/roms/GreatEscape.zip

Thanks in advance for any insight,

 ..Al
Albert Yarusso (albert@xxxxxxxxxxxx)
AtariAge.com - Atari News, Rarity Guides, Discussion & More!