Re: [stella] DASM Commandline Parameters

Subject: Re: [stella] DASM Commandline Parameters
From: "B. Watson" <urchlay@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 12:30:43 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 19 Feb 2002 cybergoth@xxxxxxxx wrote:

> - First, I'd like to know, if  this list complete:
>
>  -f#      output format
>  -oname   output file
>  -lname   list file
>  -Lname   list file, containing all passes
>  -sname   symbol dump
>  -v#      verboseness
>  -Dname=exp   define label
>  -Mname=exp   define label as in EQM
>  -Idir    search directory for include and incbin
>  -p#      max number of passes
>  -P#      max number of passes, with less checks

Looks complete. Ultimate authority is the source to DASM though.

> - Would any other parameter than -f3 ever make any sense for VCS/6507 coding?

Nope.

> - Is anyone here using -L / Is it useful for anything?

Not sure about -L, but the output from -l is a pretty good reference
to look at. Also I'm writing a source-level debugger for Stella, which
will use the output from -l (and no, I have no idea when I'll have time
		to actually work on it, it's on the To Do list..)

> - Is anyone here using -s / Is it useful for anything?

My unofficial versions of Stella have a debugger that can use the -s
output... Eventually (again when I have time) I'll sync those up with the
CVS version of Stella... for now if you want to play with the debugger,

http://regex.uswo.net/~urchlay/stellamod012.tgz  <-- source
http://regex.uswo.net/~urchlay/stella012.exe     <-- dos executable

I think you hit F11 or F12 or something to enter the debugger, I havent
touched this code in over a month :(

> - Is anyone here using -p, -P  / Are they useful for anything?

No clue.

> - Is anyone here using -D, -M  / Are they useful for anything?

I use -D like so:

# to build NTSC version:
dasm mygame.asm -f3 -omygame.bin -v3

# to build PAL version:
dasm mygame.asm -f3 -omygame.bin -v3 -DPAL=1

...then inside mygame.asm:

 ifconst PAL
 RED=$xx ; whatever color is red in PAL
 else
 RED=$yy ; whatever color is red in NTSC
 endif   ; or is it `end if' with a space? I forget

I haven't got dasm or any code to look at here, that syntax may be
slightly off, but when I get home I'll post actual code from Poker
Squares that uses this technique.

> - Which commandline are you executing generally?
>
> Mine for example is: DASM x.s -f3 -ox.bin -lx.txt -v3

That's about the same as I use, though I generally use .asm for the
source filename and .lst for the -l output... One thig to be aware of
if you're planning on making your code portable: most non-windows OSes
are case-sensitive, and DASM is called dasm (lowercase) on these systems..
Of course, if your app is fully user-configurable, the user can call it
Bob.exe if he wants :)

Later,

B.