Re: [stella] Dumb newbee question

Subject: Re: [stella] Dumb newbee question
From: Greg Miller <gmiller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 17:54:50 -0600
Adam Wozniak wrote:

They're not pointers, they're declared unsigned char, and I've forced
the compiler to put them in the right spot.

No problem there, then...

cc65 (www.cc65.org) is a free compiler for the 6502

The rest is just magic with a hand written crt0.S and the linker config file.

I'm mostly interested in knowing if the "kernel loop" there was correct.

I don't have a plan (yet) for controlling timing.  I figured I'd think about
that once the compiler was working.  I realize that most of the cool tricks
are intimately tied to cycle counting, but part of the exercise is to see
what is (and isn't) possible with this toolset.

I suspect what you're going to end up doing here is creating standardized kernels of various types in assembly and writing the game logic in C to run during VBLANK. You're kernel looked OK to my casual reading of the code, but I hesitate to say it's correct without comparing it to one of the example assembly kernels and test-running it on a real machine.

One option would be to require RAM (via an SC, for example) for a display buffer and have the C kernel copy data over from that to the hardware registers. Otherwise, timing's going to be a real bear.

--
http://www.classic-games.com/              http://www.indie-games.com/
 Publicly run schools are fundamentally incompatible with free speech