Re: [stella] Hello, and.. my game

Subject: Re: [stella] Hello, and.. my game
From: "Fabrizio Zavagli" <rasty@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2002 13:10:51 +0200
> I tried on pcaewin didn't work,I didn't know how to use cyberstella, so I
> passed on that It worked on z26 and rasty, for your first try it looks
great
> for a game, I wish my demo I'm doing looked that great (asymetcial
playfield is
> hard to do, I could do it ok I just get garbage on one side over my
orginal
> playfield)

Thanks Dan!
I still have to look into emulator compatibility issues..

I just included a title screen with asymmetrical playfield.. I've used the
asymmetrical reflect demo by Roger Williams and Glenn Saunders as a basis,
so I know what you mean :)

About the asymmetrical playfields, there's something I don't really
understand about it.
I was modifying the above-mentioned sample to squeeze and slightly optimize
it and decided to use the Y register instead of memory.
When I've implemented Y, I started having some garbage (black vertical
lines) on the screen when re-writing to PF0...

Basically, I've changed some code from this:

-----------------------------------
ScanLoop
 DEC ScanPix  ;next screen pixel line
 BNE ScanGo
 LDA #5
 STA ScanPix
 DEX   ;next big pixel line
 BNE ScanGo
 LDX #6
ScanGo
 STA WSYNC
 ;
 ; Time to begin cycle counting
 ;
 LDA PFData0,X           ;[0]+4
 STA PF0                 ;[4]+3 = *7*   < 23
(continues with PF writes)...
-----------------------------------

to this:

-----------------------------------
ScanLoop
 DEY ;next screen pixel line
 BNE ScanGo
 LDY
 DEX   ;next big pixel line
 BNE ScanGo
 LDX #6
ScanGo
 STA WSYNC
 ;
 ; Time to begin cycle counting
 ;
 LDA PFData0,X           ;[0]+4
 STA PF0                 ;[4]+3 = *7*   < 23
(continues with PF writes)...

As you see, I've just replaced ScanPix with the unused Y register... that
should take less cycles and memory.. but I get that weird artifact!

Actually I get the artifact whenever I write to the Y register..

Well, it's not vital, but it's something I can't really figure out myself!
I'd love some help with it, to have some better sleep :) eheh

Thanks!
Rasty.-