[stella] Question about How To Draw A Playfield

Subject: [stella] Question about How To Draw A Playfield
From: Dennis Debro <ddebro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 10:15:20 -0400
This has bothered me for sometime now. I have to ask the question because apparently everyone else gets it and I don't :)

In the Stella Programming Guide it describes the TV picture (NTSC) as 3 VSYNC lines, 37 VBLANK lines, 192 lines for the physical picture, and 30 lines for overscan.

In Nick's program he does 2 scanlines before VSYNC, then the 3 VSYNC lines. Why did he do the 2 scanlines before VSYNC? Are they neccessary? When I comment them out my display shows the same.