Re: [stella] Compile Settings & Fun with EPROMs

Subject: Re: [stella] Compile Settings & Fun with EPROMs
From: Chris Wilkson <ecwilkso@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2002 15:39:23 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 9 Jul 2002, Roagie wrote:

> > And don't forget, like it says in 2600 101--
> > "The -f3 is crucial"...at least if you want to get it running
> > on an emulator.
>
> Would you use the same switch if u were making a bin to burn to an eprom? If
> not, what is the suggested compile settings for doing so?

Yes.  The -f3 switch tells DASM to create a raw binary file.  As opposed to
Intel Hex or Motorola S formats.

> Also, could I just take an atari cart, remove the ROM, stick in a socket,
> and run a burned eprom (of the same size as the original host cart's ROM)?

No.  The chip enable on the vintage ROMs were active high.  But they are
active low on standard EPROMs.  On the original carts, A12 of the cart port
was tied directly to the ROM CE.  To use an EPROM, you would have to add
an inverter (for A12) to get it to work.

-Chris