Re: [stella] Star Fire - Return of the Starfield ?!?

Subject: Re: [stella] Star Fire - Return of the Starfield ?!?
From: Manuel Polik <cybergoth@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 11:10:52 +0200
Hi Thomas!

>Manuel wrote:
>>Star Raiders: It's using all three particles, plus it
>>divided the screnn into an upper and a lower region. Due
>>to a midscreen repositioning it can display six
>>particles at once, which is resulting in 12 stars with
>>only 30Hz flicker. Quite clever, though I think it
>>dosn't look too good, when the sprites are *trapped* in
>>their part of the screen.

>The stars in Starmaster are also separated into upper and lower
>parts and you hardly notice that.

Yup, I know. I'm using the starfield (slightly modified) straight outta
your Starmaster reverse-engineering. If you look at the source I posted
yesterday, you'll find your own comments in there ;-)

>The big difference is, that
>the border between those parts is slightly movable up and down,
>giving you the desired effect.

The Starmaster solution is brilliant. It's simply the best starfield
available on the VCS, so far.
I've just noticed that Alan Miler will be at the CGE and I hope so much
that someone is interviewing him, probably revealing more about
Starmaster!

Progress Report: I started analysing 'Earth Dies Screaming' yesterday
and I'm very confident that I can implement a starfield with a method
like that. Maybe tonight I'll post a new version showing the results.
Since the sprites are already flickering enough, I've now decided to
make the Starfield 100% non-flickering. Solaris does it that way too, so
it can't be that wrong, or? ;-)

Greetings,
	Manuel