Re: [stella] Star Fire 2600: Star Background

Subject: Re: [stella] Star Fire 2600: Star Background
From: Thomas Jentzsch <tjentzsch@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 09:16:48 +0200
Manuel wrote:
> Ok, as promised, here's finally a binary with some star
> background, using an adopted technique which I analysed
> by studying the code from Earth Dies Screaming.

Looks really good. :-)

> Unlike my first assumption, flicker can't be totally
> avoided, since there's no way to enable the ball during
> a repositioning line.

Maybe some optimizing in the kernel will help. What are the
timing critical paths? Repositioning?

Example:
you are doing this to set the shape-pointer:

    LDY sprtsizetype,X
    LDA shapeptrtab,Y
    STA tieshapeptr     ; Set space object pointer

Why don't you do the first part *outside* the kernel? That would require
some extra memory, but you are not short of that anyway.

That would save you a lot of cycles inside the kernel.

Have?fun!
Thomas
Thomas?Jentzsch?????????|?***?Every?bit?is?sacred?!?***
tjentzsch?at?web?dot?de?|

Die clevere Geldreserve: der DiBa-Privatkredit. Funktioniert wie ein Dispo,
ist aber viel gunstiger! Alle Infos: http://diba.web.de/?mc=021104