Re: [stella] Ideal settings for makewav?

Subject: Re: [stella] Ideal settings for makewav?
From: Erik Eid <eeid@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 4 Aug 2002 10:40:00 -0400
On Thursday 01 August 2002 03:41 pm, Eckhard Stolberg wrote:
> The Supercharger has problems with the input being too loud
> as well. If the cassette speed doesn't work for you, you should
> try setting the output of the WAV player to about 75% and then
> lower the Makewav volume setting until this speed works for you.
> [snip]
> The tracks on version 2 of the SganB CD were created with the
> slowest speed on Makewav. So if the CD works for you, the WAVs
> you created yourself with this program should work too.

Thanks!  Setting the XMMS volume to 75% seems to help.

I found that the WAV file I made for Euchre, which worked a few days ago, was
no longer being accepted by my Supercharger.  It seems to be a rather finicky
device these days.  Perhaps it is upset at not having been used for a while.
:)

I noticed in XMMS that a different kbps value was shown for my WAV file (352
kbps) and the Stella CD audio tracks ("14H" kbps - the H may be something
else; it's in a really tiny font).  I thought that I may yet have been
missing another key setting.  I added the -k2 switch and the new WAV file was
also encoded at "14H" kbps.  For good measure, I threw in -w1 to make sine
waves, and lowered the byte size switches to -020 and -127, the same I had
used for Qb.

This time the Euchre WAV worked.  I'm not sure if it will work consistently.
If it doesn't, I'll let the list know what I find.

For now, my most recent successful WAV file came from this command:

makewav -ts -f0 -020 -127 -w1 -k2 Euchre.bin

I'll be so very glad when I can get this onto a cartridge.  :)