Re: [stella] Closed Captioning Query

Subject: Re: [stella] Closed Captioning Query
From: "Glenn Saunders" <cybpunks@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 18:24:10 -0700

To say whether the VCS can do CC or not we would need some more
information about how line 21 is supposed to look. The VCS surely
can do 16 pixels per scanline. If it can do them in the right place
depends on where the right places are. But since the resolution is
so low, and the decoder probably checks for the center of the pixels,
it might be possible that the VCS would be able to do "good enough"
encoding for CC.

If it requires 16 pixels and we use a centered 32 pixels of playfield graphics (i.e. 2 pixels per bit) (vs. 40) it MIGHT work. I just don't know if the signal has to extend across the full width of the screen or not. I suppose it does. I don't think the average decoders are tolerant enough to allow for a squashed signal that starts well into the scanline and ends well before the end. You'd really have to try to evenly scale out those 16 pixels evenly across the full width of the VCS's screen and even then the VCS's left and right border is fairly wide as it is.