Re: [stella] 2600 on-a-Chip new site

Subject: Re: [stella] 2600 on-a-Chip new site
From: "Carlos Lopez" <carlosflr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 20:38:00 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: "Glenn Saunders" <cybpunks@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <stella@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, August 21, 2002 6:53 PM

> I can't believe the TIA is actually done after so many years of
speculation
> on the feasibility of doing it.  It looks a lot simpler in FPGA than the
> real thing does!  Congrats!!  I just wonder how accurate it is in
emulating
> all the subtleties like cosmic ark stars et. al...  I also wonder whether

Thanks!! I was very careful about designing a 100% compatible TIA hardware.
I haven't tested Cosmic Ark yet. I'm writing a script that will allow a 4K
bin to be inserted in a VHDL code to initialize the FPGA internal BlockRAM.
This will let me test more carts than I have available. I will post my
results as soon as I finish something.

> this was done via Curt's schematics or not?

I did use Curt's schematics. I used them to generate a TIA schematic using
Xilinx library components. This allowed me to simulate the TIA in Modelsim,
which gave me a better comprehension of the TIA internal hardware.
The final TIA design was written entirely in VHDL, because I wanted a
portable and efficient core.

Carlos Lopez