Re: [stella] Thin Red Line bugs

Subject: Re: [stella] Thin Red Line bugs
From: KirkIsrael@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: 23 Aug 2002 18:53:50 -0000
> Problem is: in both PCAE and Z26, the line seems far from red. Its somewhat orange/brown.

Yeah, you're right.  I think I grabbed the #33 out of a hat,
thought "Reddish" and then combined with vague memories of the
movie title, I decided to call it red. It is more Rusty than Red.

> And, most bizarre, there is a "misterious dot" that shows up at the top end of the line, slightly "out of line" (kind of "delayed" 1 "pixel"). And this dot only appears when the line passes to the rightmost half of the screen. Have any of you ever noticed that?

I finally got around to compiling your code (sorry for the delay)
though I haven't yet tested it on a proper Atari. (hey, the tv was
busy showing the movie "Fever Pitch" on HBO.) Still, it seems like
your version isn't free from odd breaks in the line either, at least
on the emulator I tried it on.

I'm not too too worried about it at this point...having a missile
become a huge vertical line *might* be considered an abuse of the
system anyway. Really tracking it down might come in useful at some
point, but I'm not sweating it so far.

Oy, I gotta get my 6507 Mojo working again...it's been too long, and
I don't want to let it drop. Actually, going over 2600 101 is a big
help, I can read it with less-familiar eyes, and regain the knowledge
in the process. I still want to do an example of moving a player instead
of a missile, and then assemble the "cookbook" page with a collection
of snippets ranging from the trivial-if-you-know-any-6507 to the more
subtle.

I guess right before I got distracted, I also got a little disheartedned
by seeing some excessive black at the top of the screen when I changed
the back color, meaning I was either running out of time during the
VBLANK (and will be really screwed once I try to put in more game logic)
or am making a (correctable?) error in turning things back on. I have
high hopes it's the latter, since the logic I had, while not the finest
examples of hypertight code, didn't do all that much, and seemed resonably
efficient to me.

 Indeed, the Russians' predisposition for quiet reflection followed by
 sudden preventive action explains why they led the field for many
 years in both chess and ax murders.  --Marshall Brickman, Playboy 4/73