Re: [stella] Star Fire: Advice on radar needed

Subject: Re: [stella] Star Fire: Advice on radar needed
From: Christopher Tumber <christophertumber@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 02:34:12 -0400
>So I should at least find a way to display the current
>shield state & score.
>
>At the moment, this seems to be the minimum I _need_ to
>display and it seems it's already the maximum _can_
>display :-)

Heh, been down that road....

I wouldn't worry about the flicker in the radar, it does look like you mean't to do that....

IMHO - I wouldn't sacrifice any "key display area"  (Radar or main viewscreen) for anything less than more "key display area". That is, I wouldn't decrease the size of the radar unless it mean't increasing the size of the main viewscreen (and vice-versa).

Fuel can be indicated as a bar in a scanline or two directly above/below the main view or the radar. As can the status of other things (Uh, heat, I believe you mentioned).  Star Trek Strategic Simulator does this... If you can fit things to the left/right of the radar that's cool but I don't think you need to (The display looks good as is)

Do you really have to have the score onscreen at all times? Could you just display it between waves? (ie: Yar's Revenge). If you do need to display the score, you could
use a 5 scanline font (maybe less?) but it's still going to disrupt a pretty big chunk of your display. I dunno...

Chris...

Looking good, btw!