RE: [stella] Space Instigators - Final Version (?)

Subject: RE: [stella] Space Instigators - Final Version (?)
From: "Eric Ball" <eball@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 15:34:33 -0400
Impressive... most impressive.

Don't know if it is intentional or not, but you can move before you start
the game.

I've also seen some times where it seems like some additional scanlines are
happening (z26).  The screen also jumps between levels.  No phantom lines
that I saw.

>From my experience with Skeleton, the only way to keep your kernal stable
is to cycle count the hell out of it.  Don't forget to make sure your code
& tables don't cross page boundaries inside the kernal.  (ORGs and careful
scanning of the list file, though if you are down to 3 bytes free this
might be tough.) To prevent jumps when changing screens, I divided my logic
into pre and post vsync sections.  Then when I changed screens (e.g. title
/ end) I made sure I jumped to the same section.  (So I check for
start/restart in the title screen in pre-vsync, and jump to the same
section in the main program.  Similarly, the check for win/lose is
pre-vsync, so I enter the end screen at the same point.)

The animation of the 2nd & 3rd rows of aliens doesn't seem quite right.
I'd have to load up MAME & check, but I thought each of those rows had
unique aliens.

It took me a moment to remember to zap the aliens from outside in rather
than bottom to top.