Re: RE: [stella] Space Instigators - Final Version (?)

Subject: Re: RE: [stella] Space Instigators - Final Version (?)
From: Christopher Tumber <christophertumber@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 16:45:34 -0400
Erik wrote:

>That's exactly how Piero did it in INV.  Set it up at the top of the screen; it's just a rectangle;
>and it occupies all the scanlines for that row of invaders thus needing no cycles during them.
>Display the rectangle in different sizes (flicker between 8-4-2-1 wide) for a few frames and
>you have at least some animation for invader-hit.  At the very least, it could look like the
>invader shrinks to 1 pixel wide over a few frames.  The multiplexing is the gotcha, but if the
>player can't fire again until the very few frames of the explosion are over, it should work.
>(And that's how INV did it.)

Hrm, the problem would be that it would have to use my existing "shot display routine". Though I can over-ride the X/Y and the width, the height is going to remain the constant 4 scanlines of a shot. Umm, I dunno. It sounds like a bunch more work (smile) for an effect I'm dubious about. Maybe when I see how the other stuff shakes out and if I can recover some more room...

Chris...