Re: [stella] Big Dig (My Other 2600 game)

Subject: Re: [stella] Big Dig (My Other 2600 game)
From: Erik Eid <eeid@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 06:48:19 -0400
I really like what I see so far in "Big Dig."  I have often thought Mr.
Driller was a game ripe for a 2600 conversion - simple concept, no horizontal
scrolling.

I am curious as to how you're storing the information on what blocks are in
each row.  Did you compress each row down to a couple of bytes or are you
using one byte per block?

I did notice a couple of strange behaviors, which you may or may not already
be aware of.  If some blocks are hanging from the top row, connected due to
being the same color, and that top row scrolls off the screen, the hanging
blocks fall instead of still being considered connected.  In other words, you
may need to keep a memory of what has passed by.

While you are falling, if you hold the joystick left or right and there is a
block next to you, you can halt your fall.  :)

I don't know if it's because you have no obstacles at this point, but I found
that I could stay in the same column and dig straight down with no danger of
getting clobbered.  I drilled down the column just to the right of where you
start for several minutes with no problems.  Perhaps as you add more elements
it will be a little more dangerous.

All in all, it looks to be a fun one!  I look forward to seeing more.