Re: [stella] Climber5 prototype...comments???

Subject: Re: [stella] Climber5 prototype...comments???
From: Dennis Debro <ddebro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 11:02:57 -0500
Hi Manuel!

> I think it's unfair, that there's an obstacle on the top
> section too. You have to wait until it moves away and
> then get in position again, before it reaches the right
> end.

That was there in the original. I know what you mean though. I remember doing the same thing when playing this on my A8 :)

> At least it shouldn't kill you, as long as it's not
> moving. Or you should shift the *finishing* dot a little
> to the right.

I do the collision to the ball before the collision to the players so you should be able to get the "dot" :) while the obstacle is stationary.

As I said though I am flexible. I'll consider removing the upper obstacle or moving the ball a little to the right :)

> I got the impression that not only the obstacle, but the
> players speed too increases on level 2, is that
> intentional?

Yeah, that's why the player can overshoot a ladder now. I plan on adding better speed increases in the future. Right now the level number represents the number of pixels the players are moved. Not very good :( but playable to get an idea.

> I attached a screenshot where I was killed - with _no_
> chance to escape!
Ha, ha. That has happend to me many times. I'll change the move count algorithm to offset that :) I really want to try this using an EPROM so I can get random numbers. The emulators (and I think the CC too) zero all RAM. I intentionally skipped the random number seeds to get a "true" random number when the game starts since Stella powers up in a random state.

> Other than that, the game reminds me a little of another
> title in the 2600 library called "Challenge".

I had never heard of that before. I just powered it up and you're right. I'm not familiar with Zeller games.

> Though so
> far I like your variant better.

Thanks.

> Then there's that particular "Jumpman" level, which has
> almost the same obstacles, maybe if you could add some
> bombs to collect and adopt the layout a little... :-)

Ha, ha ;)