Re: [stella] Climber5 prototype...comments???

Subject: Re: [stella] Climber5 prototype...comments???
From: "Eckhard Stolberg" <Eckhard_Stolberg@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 13:53:11 +0100

Ha, ha. That has happend to me many times. I'll change the move count
algorithm to offset that :) I really want to try this using an EPROM so I
can get random numbers. The emulators (and I think the CC too) zero all RAM.
I intentionally skipped the random number seeds to get a "true" random
number when the game starts since Stella powers up in a random state.
<<

When you do this it would be nice, if you could run a little
RAM test program too. I'm curious to know how random the
RIOT RAM really is at power-up.

If you only need one byte to seed your random number generator,
you can read INTIM at the start of the game. Berzerk does it,
and it seems to work nicely on a real VCS. The newest versions
of PlaybinCC and z26 support it now, and I think the develoment
version of Stella has it too. If you need more bytes, it would
probably be better to wait for some user input, like having a
counter running while RESET is pressed or something.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg