[stella] Battlezone "Crash" analysis

Subject: [stella] Battlezone "Crash" analysis
From: Manuel Polik <cybergoth@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 15:39:27 +0100
Happy Halloween everybody!

Ok, I'm done with analyzing how the "Crash" scene is
done in Battlezone.

Basically just some random *noise* is produced over the
essential registers for P0/P1/M0/M1. Once everything is
*seeded*, just some 165

STA WSYNC
STA HMOVE

are executed, to finish the screen.

Attached is my partial reverse-engineering, focusing on
that effect only.

It will compile into a bit-perfect NTSC 8K Battlezone,
so it will at least save you any 8K Distella troubles
;-)

The variable names I "found" will work fine for the
understanding of the trick, though in the context of the
whole game, their meaning might be slightly
different/enhanced.

For the rest of the day I decided to celebrate Halloween
with playing Diablo 2, so you've to wait until tomorrow,
if you'd like to see the effect in Star Fire :-)

Trick or Treat,
	Manuel