RE: [stella] Star Fire: 1 step forward 2 steps back :-)

Subject: RE: [stella] Star Fire: 1 step forward 2 steps back :-)
From: Manuel Polik <cybergoth@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 07:27:59 +0100
Hi Dennis!

> I just played this on my VCS (4 switch) using my CC. I
> think the flicker in the second version is much better
> than the first on the VCS too.

Phew, at least one positive aspect of your report! :-)

Thanks for the testing. I've still no means of real
hardware testing. I'm planning on buying an EPROM burner
soon though.

Let me ask a few questions, to give me more hints
regarding the issues you reported:

> The star field only shows on the left side of the
> screen though

Is it completely shifted to the left? I mean are the
visible stars on the left half flying to the right or
are they behaving as they should and the right half is
just missing?

> Also I don't see the meteors :( I may see a straggler
> every now and then in the distance but none visible to
> shoot.

Is this possibly a contrast/color problem? Do you get to
see them when when tweaking your TV settings?

> The radar screen looks a little faint but that could
> be my TV.

That's why I thought the above. I've no clue at the
moment why the ships should display fine and the meteors
not...

> I notice a screen jump when I hit multiple ships at
> one time. It's kind of hard to pin down but that seems
> to be the issue.

Ok, I'll check that.

> It's easy for me to hit multiple ships at a time
> because when the game starts, most ships are on top of
> each other unlike in Z26 or CyberStella.

Now that is very strange again. I'm running a random
number generator that is seeded once every frame. It
should produce as random numbers on emulation as on the
real thing. It's running the same code so the numbers
should be of the same quality. Hm... *puzzled*

Thanks again for the feedback!

Greetings,
	Manuel