Re: [stella] Star Fire: 1 step forward 2 steps back :-)

Subject: Re: [stella] Star Fire: 1 step forward 2 steps back :-)
From: Manuel Polik <cybergoth@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 01 Dec 2002 00:42:41 +0100
Hi Eckhard!

>Maybe I'm missing something here, but when I try this
test
>on my Cuttle Cart, it looks just like on z26. So does
playing
>the game normally BTW. But then again, I'm using the
newest
>version of Playbin which also fixes the problems with
Gunfight.
>So maybe Denis' problems have something to do with
using
>makewav?

Ok, I have it now. On Dennis CC the game starts on the
wrong bank, so my code:

SwitchToBank1:
    BIT $1FF9
    JMP MainGame

    .byte   $FF, $FF, $FF, $FF
    .word   SwitchToBank1
    .word   SwitchToBank1
    .word   SwitchToBank1

would force it back to the intro bank. Now on the other
bank, it looks like this:

SwitchToBank0:
    BIT $1FF8
    JMP StartScore
    .byte   $FF, $FF, $FF, $FF  ;           addresses
for bank-switching (do not use!)
    .word   start
    .word   start
    .word   start

And when _starting_ the cartridge on "StartScore", the
initing code isn't executed.

Well, that explains the problem, but what would be a
proper solution?

If the RAM content is more or less random on startup,
how could I ever tell wether I just switched power on or
if I'm really performing a BS on purpose?!?

(BTW: If frying would only happen on BS cartridges I'd
say: Yes - that's it! :-))

Greetings,
	Manuel