Re: [stella] ROM image classifications

Subject: Re: [stella] ROM image classifications
From: Rob <kudla@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 09:02:35 -0500
On Thursday 12 December 2002 23:50, Glenn Saunders wrote:
> At 06:42 PM 12/12/2002 -0500, you wrote:
> >In which category would you put, say, Coke Wins?  It's a legitimate game
> > from the 2600's prime that is a hack of Space Invaders but has somewhat
> > different gameplay.  You could argue it belongs in any of the above 3
> People don't realize that Coke Wins is more than just a hack.  Note that
> the game has a timer at the top.  It's not 100% original, but the gameplay
> changed, not just the graphics.  Many Space Invaders hacks are actually

Yeah, I know that, hence the "somewhat different gameplay" comment and the
whole point of that rhetorical question.

> >adding another layer of classifications.  Maybe it should be a 'best
> >practice' (whatever that term actually means) for sites offering 2600
> > games to simply run 'em through Good2600 so they can categorize them
> > easily and appropriately?
> But at the very least some single authoritative body should oversee the
> Good2600 descriptors.

Some single authoritative body DOES oversee the Good2600 descriptors, namely
the pseudonymous author.  It's just not an authority the people involved in
this debate are necessarily comfortable with. ;)

It seems to me that starting from stella.pro and filling in from a full set of
Good2600-verified bin files might be a good way to start your competing
XML-based authoritative 2600 game database if that's what you want to do.

Rob