Re: [stella] ROM image classifications

Subject: Re: [stella] ROM image classifications
From: Glenn Saunders <cybpunks2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 23:31:42 -0800
At 09:02 AM 12/13/2002 -0500, you wrote:
Some single authoritative body DOES oversee the Good2600 descriptors, namely
the pseudonymous author.  It's just not an authority the people involved in
this debate are necessarily comfortable with. ;)

It seems to me that starting from stella.pro and filling in from a full set of
Good2600-verified bin files might be a good way to start your competing
XML-based authoritative 2600 game database if that's what you want to do.

By single authoritative body I don't mean a single person. I mean a single group of people who are generally accepted to be "the authority".

I have spoken to the editors of Atari Age about somehow tying their database in with things like stella.pro. I do think there ultimately needs to be some sort of synchronization between web-based databases and emulator databases. I suggested Atari Age expose an XML web service which emulators could use to synchronize its ROM definitions. Since AA hosts ROMs, it's already almost like a global file-server for emulators. If it also exposed ROM MD5 hashes and other metadata it would be pretty much there.