Re: [stella] ROM image classifications

Subject: Re: [stella] ROM image classifications
From: Adam Wozniak <adam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 10:55:31 -0800 (PST)
On Sat, 14 Dec 2002, Albert Yarusso - AtariAge wrote:
> I'm sure we could add the Stella.pro information to our database and provide
> a service as you're describing.  I've actually wanted to add some additional
> information for titles as is, such as the size of the game (4K, 8K, etc.)
> and the bankswitching method the game employs.  However, in order to allow
> an emulator to "sync up" with a current list of ROMs, we'd really need a
> completely new table that is independent of our Rarity Guide,  as there are
> *many more* ROMs in the Stella.pro than there are in our database.  Not a
> big deal, especially if I can automate the import of the Stella profile into
> a table.
>
> After things calm down a bit for us (we just put a new store online, we have
> to finish getting the rest of the site to match the store and forum's "new
> look", catch up on a backlog of scans and other submissions, and there are
> many homebrew titles we're working on adding to the store), I would like to
> pursue this further.

All great ideas.  I'd like to see something a little different, however.
These ideas require tracking the information separate from the rom image,
which is a maintainace headache.

Why not create a new file format, which includes the information along
with the ROM data?  That way no centralized authority is required to maintain
or track data as people come up with new homebrews/ hacks/ conversions/
versions/ etc...

The file should contain all the information in the current stella.pro, and
be extensible.  All it would take for the new format to 'catch' would be for
the 3 biggest emulators to support it, and a set of free tools for
manipulating it.

Thoughts?

--
Will code for food.       http://cuddlepuddle.org/~adam/resume.html