Re: [stella] Intelligent Job-System idea

Subject: Re: [stella] Intelligent Job-System idea
From: Manuel Polik <cybergoth@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2003 11:16:54 +0100
Hi there Christopher!

[Vectrexsnip]

Hey, thanks for your insights! This really seems to be
one funny little machine!

> For your purposes, I'd suggest a table for low-
> priority routines, ones that don't need to be called
> every frame. And then your NextRoutine offset variable
> would only be reset when the end of the table is
> reached. So calling the routines could be spread out
> over several frames. Something like:

This is a really excellent idea!

>low_priority_routine_handler:
>
>     LDA INTIM
>     CMP #$05       ; more than 6*64 cycles left?
>     BCS end_VBLANK
>
>     lda NextLowPriorityRoutine
>     cmp NumberOfLowPriorityRoutines
>     beq done_low_priority_routines
>     asl
>     tay
>     lda LowPriorityRoutineTable,y
>     sta RoutineOffset
>     lda LowPriorityRoutineTable+1,y
>     sta RoutineOffset+1
>     inc NumberOfLowPriorityRoutines
>     jmp (RoutineOffset)   ;Routines need to end by
with: jmp low_priority_routine_handler
>done_low_priority_routines:
>     lda #0
>     sta NextLowPriorityRoutine
>
>end_VBLANK:
>
>;... (BTW - This is off the top of my head, may be
buggy as hell...)
>;...
>;...
>

> LowPriorityRoutineTable:
> .word FirstLowPriorityRoutineStartingAddress
> .word SecondLowPriorityRoutineStartingAddress
> .word ThirdLowPriorityRoutineStartingAddress
> .word FourthLowPriorityRoutineStartingAddress

Assimilated!
This is an excellent mechanism!

> You are adding the overhead of around 30 cycles per
> routine plus 1 byte RAM over you original idea, but
> otherwise you're probably going to be adding:
>
>     LDA INTIM
>     CMP #$05       ; more than 6*64 cycles left?
>     BCC Continue
>     RTS
>Continue

Well, I have to carefully consider this. A great deal of
routines I do are really required every frame.

Remember I have a scenario like this:
(Pseudo C code)

for(i=0;i<10;i++)
{
    if (IDObject(i)==METEOR)
    {
        JSR dothis1
        JSR dothis2
        JSR dothis3
        JSR dothis4
	   continue;
    }
    if (IDObject(i)==SHIP)
    {
        JSR dothis1
        JSR dothis2
        JSR dothat
        JSR dothis4
	   continue;
    }
    if (IDObject(i)==MOTHERSHIP)
}

So one of the first not so trivial issues is finding the
proper XX here:

>     LDA INTIM
>     CMP #$XX       ; more than X*64 cycles left?
>     BCC Continue
>     RTS

It's like this: For the first 5 objects, I can execute
"dothis4", but for the other 5 ships I should bail out.
They still should all excute dothis1-3 in time though.

Now, I can only estimate how long executing dothis1-3
takes - it's depending on the actual situation and on
the distribution of objects. For example dothis2 might
be done quicker for meteors than for ships...

Second thing is, that I don't know the order of the
objects. The more heavy calculation things might come
all first or all at the end...

Well, in the end XX just needs to be big _enough_. Being
the suicidal try & error coder, I think I will find a
proper value here :-)

> To the start of a bunch of routines (it'll only take a
> few before you're using more ROM than my routine) and
> you may have some problems ensuring that all those
> routines get called in a timely manor (Supposed you
> have 6 of those routines, each with the above timer
> check, it may sometimes take several frames to get
> down to the last couple routines while the first
> couple routines get called every frame. With my table
> you at least know they'll get called as part of the
> sequence of routines...)

Now here is a small advantage I have: Since my Objects
are constantly swapping their positions, I think their
lowlevel stuff will be executed just "often enough".

I think again I have to just test & balance my system
here...

>Anyway, there's my two cents...

Thanks for the brill concept. Maybe I should've known
that _before_ I started. :-)

Well, I'm wiser now, but this time I've just to live
with what I've got so far...

Greetings,
	Manuel