Re: [stella] 10-in-1 Toymax

Subject: Re: [stella] 10-in-1 Toymax
From: "Andrew Davie" <adavie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 23:22:20 +1100

> Ken Love told me what's inside these things but I'm under NDA so I can't
> really say specifically how these work.  But I think it's fair to say that
> this is not running a clone of the 2600 chipset.  If we were to do it,
> sure, but it would take more R&D effort than those parties involved would
> ever care to invest.

I have independantly come across information about this machine.  It is
running a 65816, and games are not binary-compatible.  Neither is the
hardware anything like the '2600.  In fact, the machine doesn't have
raster-change capabilities, so the conversion process would have been a
major pain in the butt.  The games it does run are probably due to the
brilliance of the guys doing the 'conversions' which are more like
recompilations/rewrites.

Having said that, I wouldn't mind having a play with one....  :P

Cheers