Re: [stella] Stella Emulator and .PRO files

Subject: Re: [stella] Stella Emulator and .PRO files
From: Julian Squires <tek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 16:54:26 -0500
On Wed, Jan 22, 2003 at 03:36:41PM -0600, Albert Yarusso wrote:
> > It's such a waste of talent to have three independent
> > VCS emulators of that high quality. Just thinking about
> > this giant amount of totally redundant work bothers me.
>
> Realistically, though, it might be difficult to get all those people to work
> on the same project, because some of them may want to work on the same
> aspects of the code, and managing projects always gets more difficult as
> more people are involved.  And having competition between different
> emulators isn't a bad thing if it encourages them to evolve more quickly
> than if there was just one emulator.

Another thing to consider is operating system support, and of course
different design goals.  Some people may want to develop the most
accurate emulator, the greatest emulator for homebrew development, the
fastest emulator, or the most portable emulator, but many of those
design goals require very different approaches to development.

Of course, close collaboration between all the emulator authors might
provide the best of both worlds -- multiple, independently developed
emulators with different design goals, but backed by the expertise and
experience of all the authors.

Cheers.

--
Julian Squires