[stella] My scrolling playfield with score

Subject: [stella] My scrolling playfield with score
From: Aaron Bergstrom <Aaron.Bergstrom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 06:26:32 -0600
Well, I've been working on this for a while now. I originally drew the very basics of the non-score part of the screen with the java tool I've been working on. After getting a basic file to work with, I began editing code. What I've got now is a scoreboard, and a playing field that scrolls up and down depending on where the bouncing PF Ball is located on the screen. I'm at a point now where I feel I can ask for some feedback. Pushing the left fire button starts the PF Ball moving. I'm curious to know if what I've made looks the same on a real 2600, so if someone with a cuttle cart has some spare time it would be great if you could try it out on the real system for me. What I notice so far is that I have too much code upfront handling the ball bouncing/PF scrolling. This causes the screen to jump up a scanline when the button is pushed. I tried some of the techniques suggested for code optimization listed on the dig. Specifically the JMP(indirect) code, but I haven't had much luck and only seem to make the problem worse. So I left that code out of this version.

What you'll see if you run the attached bin is the basics of a game intended to be similar to the game Quiditch found in the Harry Potter books. Some of you may remember that I announced that I'm working on another game: KC-135. It's still on my list of things to do, but I found that I needed to hone my skills on a simpler game before I go back to that one. That's why I'm working on this Quiditch thing. Anyway, any feedback anyone has to give would be greatly welcomed.

Thanks,

Aaron