Re: [stella] DiscoTech, Supercharger?

Subject: Re: [stella] DiscoTech, Supercharger?
From: Glenn Saunders <mos6507@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 09:55:13 -0800
At 08:50 AM 2/12/2003 +0100, you wrote:
Hi Christopher!

> The original idea is to incorperate the Dancing Baby

While the idea itself is dead cool, may I suggest using
another "Dancing Baby"? - pleeeeeease!

While a huge 3F banked ROM would be exciting to see, and the temptation is strong to make a physical cart out of this, if the upper animation portion used regular sprites doing Ms Pac Man intermission style moves rather than a megasprite, then I think it would take less overhead, maybe small enough that you could fit one or more songs into one 6K Supercharger load.

If the main portion of the game contained the game logic then you could swap out the song pattern data, the sprite animations, and the arrow sequencer as a series of multiloads. The main game could hardcode requests for load numbers and you could have "banks" of loads for different themes.

Even with a standard supercharger (which doesn't display the load ID the way the Cuttle Cart does) you'd just need a cheat-sheet to know which load to queue up. It's still a linear progression, it's just that the starting point varies. For example, you store 30 different files per subdirectory. Each subdirectory stores a series of music files of a given theme. You pick which theme of music to use simply by feeding the game loads from the desired directory. The main loader thinks it's getting the proper load even though the data is different from theme to theme. Now, I know there is a limit to how many songs you can make that sound halfway decent on the 2600, but at least from a technical standpoint this makes the game wide open for future expansion.

TECHNO1/
EASY            MEDIUM  HARD
1               11              21
2               12              22
3               13              23
4               14              24
5               15              25
6               16              26
7               17              27
8               18              28
9               19              29
10              20              30

TECHNO2/ EASY MEDIUM HARD 1 11 21 2 12 22 3 13 23 4 14 24 5 15 25 6 16 26 7 17 27 8 18 28 9 19 29 10 20 30

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Archives (includes files) at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/archives/ Unsub & more at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/