Re: [stella] Experiment in animation

Subject: Re: [stella] Experiment in animation
From: Thomas Jentzsch <tjentzsch@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 09:24:16 +0100
Andrew wrote:
> Let's say a 20fps movie at 48 x 96 pixels...

If would suggest a vertical size that fits better into a 256 bytes page
(e.g. 84), else you would be wasting a lot of space only for aligning.

> ...with a 20% efficiency in packing.

Hm, IMO that's way to pessimistic. Even with the limited ressources of
the 2600, some simple differential encoding (though requireing *3* frame
buffers) with additional RLE compression should be possible. I guess an
efficiency of 80% is possible if you choose the animation carefully (e.g.
cartoon style with little to none dithering, static backgrounds etc.).

Then one second would require ~6KB (20 fps x 48 pixels x 84 pixels / 8 pixels
per byte x 3 color fields x 0.2 (packing efficiency)).

A short clip with 5 seconds should be possible within a 32K cart
(incl. 2K RAM!).

Still, for one hour we would need 21 MB!

(Another option would be a greyscaled clip. Then you would only need 1
or 2 color fields and the compression might be also a bit more efficient.)

> It ain't going to happen anytime soon.

Alas.  :-(

Have?fun!
Thomas
Thomas?Jentzsch?????????|?***?Every?bit?is?sacred?!?***
tjentzsch?at?web?dot?de?|

Die SMS direkt auf's Handy. - Die Blitz-SMS bei WEB.DE FreeMail
http://freemail.web.de/features/?mc=021165