Re: [stella] The Demo Image Series

Subject: Re: [stella] The Demo Image Series
From: "Andrew Davie" <atari2600@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 07:35:55 +1100
> The problem I see is that the pixel aspect ratio is too tall on these
images.

Well, you're kind of missing the point, a bit.   The images are adjusted to
48 x 128 pixels.  The aspect ratio of an image can be anything I want it to
be.  I just happened to stretch the images to the full depth/width of my
bitmap capability.

> The babboon looks a little washed out but is generally better looking than
> the one from before.

A minor matter of pre-adjusting the brightness/contrast on the original,
before processing.

Yep. Check the original at http://rsb.info.nih.gov/ij/images/clown.jpg

> I think pictures with a lot of gradations of a single hue, like in the Sam
> Fox one, work best.  It seems to be able to do skin-tone really well.

It does, but the system is generic.  It is designed to display any image.

> Donald looks good but once you get down to that few colors it almost makes
> sense to try to do it via color register shifting in 1-bit plane.

I'm looking forward to seeing your demo.

> Overall, if you take the flicker away and disregard the insetting, it
> almost looks like Apple II or Atari 8-bit images.

Not quite sure what you mean by 'insetting'.  And I think you might be
testing on an emulator.  This is designed to 'shimmer' on the real thing,
but have very little 'flicker'.

> Why don't you try cropping this image of Woody from Toy story:
> Since it's a naturally tall image it will probably work well for this.

Again, the aspect ratio is unimportant.  I've attached a Woody for you.

Thanks for the comments.

Cheers