Re: [stella] Interleaved Colour Sprite System - How it Works

Subject: Re: [stella] Interleaved Colour Sprite System - How it Works
From: Thomas Jentzsch <tjentzsch@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 09:56:26 +0100
Andrew wrote:
> 3. Resize the image to 48 (wide) x 128 (deep) pixels.  Either stretch image to size, or maintain aspect ratio and adjust canvas size appropriately.
>
> 4. Split the image to separate Red, Green, Blue channels (images).
>
> 5. Colour-reduce each of these to 2 colours (black/white) with appropriate dithering (weighted Stucki in Paint Shop Pro is my current preference).  The dithering is a crucial part of the operation, as this effectively gives the eye the impression of more colours than there actually are in the final image.  A random dither (or a non-patterned one) gives a much better final result - and much much better than a 'nearest colour' algorithm.

Did you experiment with other orders e.g. color reduction before channel splitting?

*Theoretically this might* give better results, because then dithered pixels of a combined color (cyan, magenta, yellow and white) will not be separated. But I'm not sure...

> More shimmer, than flicker.

Yup, very impressive! Even on an emulator it looks quite good.

> The code was quite tricky, in the end - not a single cycle free :)

So, are you still using my kernel code? :-)

Or did you find some more ways to optimize? Could you please post some source code then?

Have?fun!
Thomas
Thomas?Jentzsch?????????|?***?Every?bit?is?sacred?!?***
tjentzsch?at?web?dot?de?|

Mit der Auslands-SMS von WEB.DE FreeMail erreichen Sie Ihre Freunde auf
der ganzen Welt - http://freemail.web.de/features/?mc=021171