Re: [stella] Interleaved Colour Sprite System - How it Works

Subject: Re: [stella] Interleaved Colour Sprite System - How it Works
From: "Andrew Davie" <atari2600@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 20:32:08 +1100
> Did you experiment with other orders e.g. color reduction before channel
splitting?

I did try that, but the results didn't appear to be as good.

> > The code was quite tricky, in the end - not a single cycle free :)
>
> So, are you still using my kernel code? :-)
> Or did you find some more ways to optimize? Could you please post some
source code then?

No, in the end I optimised my original code.  This sprite system is capable
of free movement of the sprite around the screen, and does not use
background graphics at all.  I'll be delighted to post the source code to
the list - but I would like to clean it up first.  I'm just playing with
colours now - the original RGB I chose were essentially random - now I'm
using much closer colours - and it looks (to my eye, at least) slightly
better.  Current colour choice R = $32, G = $C6, B = $70

> Have fun!

Its been a great challenge, hasn't it :)  I'd just LOVE to see what some of
the machine's designers think of the machine being pushed in this way.
Would they be amazed?

Cheers