Re: [stella] Strange glitches in homebrewed games on the 2600 jr.

Subject: Re: [stella] Strange glitches in homebrewed games on the 2600 jr.
From: "Eckhard Stolberg" <Eckhard_Stolberg@xxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2003 21:40:17 +0100
> Not yet. Russ, you want to send your console information?

I noticed that my 7800s and my problematical 2600 Jr. were
all made in China and have production dates from 1989 or
newer. All my other 2600s are made in Taiwan or Hong Kong.
The Jr. has board revision F1. I also have a Jr with board
revision E from 1987 which works fine. The only difference
that I could find between the two boards so far is that the
capacitor rightnext to the 6532 was moved a bit away from
the chip.

> Could you test these games on your console? Recompile them one at a time
> removing TIA access step by step to try to narrow down the problem (if
> that's it).

I don't think I have the source code for those games. I'm
not even sure I have the final binaries for all of them.
If I had those, I could probably test them on my system,
but as I've said neither my problematical Jr. nor the
2600 part of my 7800 show any colour anymore. All I get
is a black and white picture. I can get the colour back by
adjusting the colour potentiometer, but it always goes
away again after a couple of minutes so that I'd have to
adjust it again.

Does anyone have an idea what part might be failing here?
And why would only the Chinese made consoles suffer from
this, while nearly identical consoles that are even older
still work fine?

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg